»

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

That which doesn't kill you, can really stress you out

So in light of everything that has been happening with my husband's job, I have been a little stressed out. I struggle with anger more than any other emotion, and I am daily repenting and repenting for the feelings I have toward a few people in particular at my husband's old job. In the meantime, I have been trying to encourage my husband as much as I can, adapt to a new routine that includes having him home with us, keep EJ entertained so Joey can work on resume stuff and look for jobs, all the while trying to stay patient and still and wait on God. My first response is to run to the computer update my resume and start looking for a job as well. I even halfheartedly looked through the paper with a friend of mine Sunday "just to see what was out there". So today, I received my daily devotional from Proverbs 31 Ministries, here is a couple of exerpts-

The Weight of Waiting
Van Walton

"Why doesn't the Almighty bring the wicked to judgment? Why must the godly wait for him in vain?"
Job 24:1 (NLT)

Devotion:

I don't like having to wait. It can bring out the worst in me...
God knows me. He is well aware of my weaknesses. So He calls me to His workout room were my weights are actually waits. "Here lift these. When you have completed this exercise, you will emerge a stronger woman."

So I begin to "strength train" with the waits in my life.

Daily I encounter light waits that serve as a warm up for the heavier waits. How I behave as I wait in line at the post office or grocery store, for example, becomes a testimony to my growing strength and maturity. Sure I sometimes drop the load rather than handle the wait well ... I occasionally give in to impatient eye rolling, snide under-my-breath comments, or quick steps to assure my place in line.

Thankfully, God believes in me as a savvy coach believes in his well-chosen athletes. He hasn't given up on me. He continues to assign me to His wait room where I'm learning daily "wait training" strengthens me for the larger times of waiting. Like the time I had to wait for my first job. As I waited for a call back, my self-esteem plummeted. Yet in God's good timing He opened the doors to the perfect position. Or, the time I waited as my dad's health deteriorated. Sadness threatened to overwhelm me. But I emerged from God's wait room wrapped in my Father's comfort, having learned to trust Him.

I've discovered that waiting isn't a waste of time, but an opportunity to grow my character. When the wait feels impossible I try to focus on building patience and my relationship with Jesus, rather than fretting. I spend a lot of time in God's wait room. Next time you find yourself there, remember that God provides the ability to endure when we willingly yield to His strength training process.

Psalm 5:3, "In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; ...I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation." (NIV)

Isaiah 49:23 b, "Those who wait for me shall not be put to shame." (ESV)

Romans 15:4, "...the Scriptures give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God's promises to be fulfilled." (NLT)
So, I will continue to lay my requests before Him and wait in expectation, for God's promises to be fulfilled!

2 comments:

darci said...

hi, I'm not sure of all the details of what's going on..but I wanted to share. IN '04 we went thru what at the time felt like the end of the world with my husband's job..it was so incredibly hard..At the time I remember feeling like I was running after God shouting, 'please help us' and He was walking away. BUT..He brought us thru, and you know what, we're better than ever before. IT's HARD, and I'll pray for you today.
just a little something from a devo my friend shared with me at that time..
'as we grow in our awareness of God's protective love, we become less concerned with what others say about us and more willing to entrust ourselves to our Father..It is good to look beyond those who oppose us and look to the One who loves us with infinite love. It is good to be able to believe that whatever God permits is for our ultimate good-good, though we're exposed to..curses..good though our hearts break and we shed bitter tears.
You are in God's hands, no matter what others are saying..He has seen your distress, and in time He'll repay you for the cursing you have recieved. So trust Him and abide in His love.'
2 Samuel 16:12 "It may be that the Lord will look on my affliction, and that the Lord will repay me with good."
so..hope I didn't ramble on too long. I just think I might know a little of what you're feeling. I think it's HARDER to see our husbands suffer injustice almost than to suffer it ourselves. It's that protective instinct rising up in us. So hang in there. you're being prayed for today. darci :)

Jackie said...

Oh, my friend...I know it's hard. You never cease to amaze me, though, with your strength and willingness to learn and grow.

Please let me know if you all need anything. Maybe we can get EJ and Savannah together again soon (and ourselves, of course!). Love you guys.